Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life: Priceless. Worthless.

“Am I wrong for wishing somebody would get killed? I mean, it just doesn’t seem like Hip-Hop gets it until somebody gets killed.”

-illseed, August 10, 2009, posted in rumors

I read this in the rumors section of AllHipHop. I respect illseed because he has a lot of insight and wisdom in matters of Hip-Hop and life. He's also funny. At the time he said this, the beef between Joe Budden and Raekwon had escalated to fisticuffs when Budden was decked by Rae's entourage. While some, who do not understand the state of Hip-Hop or illseed's dry humor, were enraged by this statement, I understood the point he was trying to make. That it is only in death, does Hip-Hop appreciate life and seek to preserve what has already been lost.

But this is a bigger issue than the callousness of those within the Hip-Hop world. Even now, I write this piece because I have lost someone dear to me. And while I have attempted to remain a douchebag and poke fun at the useless sh*t of life, I feel like I have treated life itself the same way.

Regret is a useless emotion. It is also a avoidable one. Just appreciate your family. Your friends. Yourself. Your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment